Sunday, November 13, 2011

And this is what happens when you ask your kids to be dishonest....

This is precisely what you get when you ask your kids to be dishonest. Yes, that is a plate of alfalfa sprouts and only alfalfa sprouts. Last night we went to Brick Oven Pizza for dinner. Now, let me clarify in addition to plates of sprouts Brick Oven has to die for pizza and an unparalleled salad bar. Their salad bar has the perfect variety of toppings without being overwhelming. The toppings are always fresh and you never see sad lettuce or mushrooms that look past their prime. That is just not how Brick Oven rolls. However, there is one slight issue I have with Brick Oven.

Their pizza is simply ah-mazing! You have to get their pizza and their salad bar or the trip to Brick Oven is wasted. The issue lies in the fact that a one-trip salad bar is $4.19! Yes, $4.19. Not only is one trip $4.19, but the plate is small. It is an appetizer plate. However, they can charge $4.19 and customers don't balk at the idea (at least not directly) because the salad bar is that great. Herein lies the caveat, when I eat salad from a salad bar I must have seafood salad with a couple of club crackers. I just must. However, when challenged with amazing and fresh toppings and only one appetizer plate, one must get creative or pay $8.99 for multiple trips to the salad bar.

Now, here is the beauty of having kids. Hannah ordered the kids all-you-care-to-eat Market Room Buffet- which is where the amazing salad bar is located. I thought my problem was solved. I asked Hannah to go and get me some seafood salad on a plate on one of her many salad bar trips. At first she complained, but when she realized how insistent I was and that she wasn't going to win, she succumbed and went to retrieve my seafood salad. She returned with the plate of alfalfa spouts. I gave her a puzzled look. "Isn't that seafood salad?" she asked. She genuinely thought that was my sought after seafood salad. I explained to her what it actually is and she still looked confused. Chris got up and accompanied her to the salad bar, pointed out the seafood salad, which she dished up one spoonful on an appetizer plate and walked it back to me at the table. And that spoonful seafood salad, was delicious!

For asking Hannah (who is ethical to a fault) to bend the rules, I deserved a plate of alfalfa sprouts. Or Brick Oven needs to offer a standard sized plate for $4.19. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment